Both my kids was down with fever one after another recently which left me with little time to post new ideas or recipes but now that they are running wild again, I have the time to post this yummy soya bean jelly recipe.
In this hot weather, a cool and refreshing jelly is a welcome. Good dose of protein too.
a. 1 litre sugar free soya bean milk (buy fresh ones from those mobile vans)
b. 500 ml water
c. 30 g agar-agar, soaked for 20 minutes (easier to cook)
d. 2 pandan leaves, knotted
e. 150 ml evaporated milk
f. 250 g caster sugar (you can reduce the amount if you do not want it to be so sweet)
g. 1 tin mixed fruit cocktail, well drained (this is optional)
h. Agar-agar moulds (I used the Mickey Mouse Silicon Mould (Big) and the Winnie the Pooh Silicon Mould (Small)).
1. Put agar-agar, pandan leaves and water in a deep saucepan and bring to a boil. (Saucepan needs to be big enough as you will add the soya milk in later)
2. Simmer over a low flame until agar-agar melts. (This can take a while depending on how soft the agar-agar was in the begining). You can also cut the agar-agar into shorter strands to hasten the process.
3. Add sugar and bring to a boil. The mixture will be quite thick at this point.
4. When the sugar has dissolved, add soy bean milk and bring to a boil again. Switch off the fire and pour in the milk. Stir well to mix and allow to cool slightly.
5. Put 1 tbsp (or as desired) fruit cocktail into the mould and pour the soya bean agar-agar mixture over it. You can also do this without the fruit cocktail.
6. Leave to set and chill well before serving.
The 2 on the left is plain while the 2 on the right is with fruit cocktail.