Savoury corn bread with a dollop of butter.
Here is the recipe:
a. 30g melted butter and extra for greasing
b. 150g polenta
c. 150g plain flour
d. 2 teaspoons baking powder
e. 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
f. 25g sugar
g. 1 teaspoon salt
h. 2 eggs
i. 150ml milk
j. 150ml cultured buttermilk
Preheat oven to 220C. Grease a long loaf tin or any mould of your choice.
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, remove immediately from the heat.
2. Put the polenta, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
3. Mix all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
4. Break the eggs into the well and mix in gently using a wooden spoon.
5. Add the milk and buttermilk. Mix well until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
6. Pour in the melted butter and mix again until everything is evenly blended.
7. Pour the mixture into the tin. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
8. When the top is golden brown, remove the cake from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
9. Best eat warm with a dollop of butter. Can also be eat as an accompaniment to savoury dishes (soup or vegetable dishes).
Need to honest and say that its easier to make sweet cakes than savoury cakes and I will stick to making sweet cakes next time to satisfy my sweet tooth.
Note: It's extremely difficult to find cultured buttermilk in Malaysia, as a substitute, use 200 ml milk and add in 15 ml of lemon juice, stir and let it stand for 5 minutes before using.